OPSEU JOB POSTING #850428
Position: Pharmacy Technician
Site: Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
Reports to: Manager
Wage: $27.95 - $32.23 per hour (Start rate: $27.95 per hour in accordance with collective agreement requirements)
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Shifts: Days, Evenings, Weekends
Status: Temporary Full Time (6 months, with possible extension)
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Pharmacy Technician in our Pharmacy Department.
The Energy of the City. The Rewards of a Great Career.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
As an integral member of the Pharmacy serving inpatients, systemic chemotherapy and ambulatory care patients, the PHARMACY TECHNICIAN is responsible for: independently performing all technical aspects of prescription preparation including sterile and non-sterile drug compounding and dispensing responsibilities; replenishing stock medication; ensuring patient information is updated and maintained in the pharmacy computer system; completing all required reports and documentation; attending, participating and assisting in staff and patient training/educational functions; performing workload measurement support functions; and performing cross-functional and/other duties consistent with the job classification, as assigned or requested.
• Completion of an accredited college level Pharmacy Technician Program required and if graduated prior to 2008, Certification with the Ontario College of Pharmacists (CPhT) or completion of Pharmacy Examination Board of Canada (PEBC) Evaluating Exam required.
• Certificate of competency from the Pharmacy Examination Board of Canada preferred.
• Active licensure with the Ontario College of Pharmacists (OCP) as Registered Pharmacy Technician (RPhT) preferred.
• Eligibility to register with OCP as RPhT required.
• Two years practical and related experience preferred.
• Previous hospital experience with cytotoxic drug safe handling and sterile intravenous admixture service preferred.
• Previous hospital experience with automation technology preferred.
• Membership with a professional pharmacy association is an asset.
Additional Skills/Abilities preferred:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
• Excellent interpersonal skills required.
• Ability to work under minimal supervision and to manage competing priorities/deadlines.
• Ability to learn and troubleshoot changing technologies/machinery (e.g. automated dispensing cabinets).
• Ability to work variable shifts.
POSTED DATE: October 10, 2019 CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.