Job Posting #874248
Position: Veterinary Technician
Site: Krembil Discovery Tower
Department: Animal Resource Centre
Reports to: Supervisor
Salary Range: $47,986 to $59,982 per annum
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; Weekdays (7:00 am to 3:00 pm); some overtime and weekends may be required
Status: Permanent Full-time
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Veterinary Technician in our Animal Resource Centre.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,600 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
University Health Network (UHN) is a research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and a member of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN have made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. Research across UHN's seven research institutes spans the full spectrum of diseases and disciplines, including cancer, cardiovascular sciences, transplantation, neural and sensory sciences, musculoskeletal health, rehabilitation sciences, and community and population health. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
Veterinary Technicians within University Health Network, Animal Resource Centre (ARC) are involved in basic animal husbandry of multi species of laboratory animals and are responsible for the health and welfare of animals in their care. This includes cage changing, water bottle changing, feeding, and maintenance of assigned animal rooms as well as health monitoring and treatments. Other responsibilities include: technical services such as weaning, DNA sampling, drug administration or blood sampling. Administrative duties include scanning inventory, keeping up billing records and sick cases. Daily interaction with ARC Veterinarian staff and Laboratory staff is important part of the job and excellent communication skills mandatory.
• Completion of a community college program in Veterinary Technology or recognized equivalent
• At minimum, one year practical and related experience and/or 2 years on the job training required
• Registration with CALAS as a RLAT preferred
• Previous experience within a laboratory animal facility required
• Experience handling laboratory animals; managing breeding colonies of mice and carrying out technical services on rodents, good working knowledge of anesthetic machines, intermediate knowledge of Excel
• WHMIS training; in-house Certified Shipper of Dangerous Goods (dry ice) course
• Ability to lift 50 lbs
• No known allergies to animals
• Exercise initiative and time management skills
• Effective organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
• Exercise initiative and good judgement with ability to multi-task
• Compliance with confidentiality requirements
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines
• Knowledge of applicable legislative, UHN and/or departmental policies
• Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
Posted Date: April 8, 2021 Closing Date: April 22, 2021
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have maintained satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.